79 Insane Facts That Will Change The Way You Look At The Animal Kingdom Buzzfeed – The animal kingdom really is a place of never ending wonder! I love animals and honestly day after day I learn new things that blow my mind.
We are making more and more steps to learn more about animals but the more we learn the less we understand, to some degree, we know they are insanely complex and their social structures and sheer intelligence is much higher than early science would have suggested. We are making headway in understanding and even communicating!
Buzzfeed have put together an excellent list with a whole bunch of insane facts! We won’t republish their whole list but here are the last 20.
59. The king cobra is also the largest venomous snake at up to 18 feet long, and can rear itself up to six feet off the ground — enough to tower over many humans.
60. The narwhal has two teeth, one of which can grow into a nearly-nine-foot-long tusk in males.
61. Dominant male elephant seals collect a harem of 40 to 50 females during breeding season.
62. Also, southern elephant seals can reach depths of nearly a mile into the ocean and are able to hold their breath for two hours.
63. Chameleons don’t change colors to match their surroundings, but to show emotions and specific reactions.
64. No two tigers have the exact same stripes.
65.The three-foot-long tusks of a walrus, which grow throughout their lives, are actually canine teeth.
66. The coelacanth, a bizarre-looking fish, was thought to have gone extinct with the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, only to be rediscovered in 1938.
67. A snowy owl may eat up to 1,600 lemmings a year — three to five every day.
68. When anacondas mate, several competing males can form a ball around a female in a ritual that can last up to a month.
69. When a queen bee dies, worker bees create a new queen by feeding a female bee “royal jelly” that makes her fertile.
70. Queen bees also regulate the activity of a hive by releasing a chemical into the air that guides other bees’ behavior.
71. Ancient Greek dentists used the venom from stingrays as an anesthetic.
72. Arabian camels rarely sweat, but are capable of drinking 30 gallons of water in less than 15 minutes.
73. The largest bald eagle nest on record was 20 feet high and weighed two tons.
74. The sperm whale eats about a ton of fish and squid every day.
75. Sailfish are the fastest fish in the ocean and can leap out of the water at speeds of up to 68 miles per hour.
76. Alligators have been around for 150 million years.
77. A hungry tiger can eat as much as 60 pounds of meat in one meal.
78. Ruby-throated hummingbirds beat their wings at a rate of 53 times per second, and can fly backwards and upside down in addition to hovering.
79. Koalas are actually not bears — they’re marsupials — and they sleep for 18 hours a day.
Now head on over to Buzzfeed to see the full list here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/samstryker/insane-facts-that-will-change-the-way-you-look-at-the-ani#43diaiz