You may be forgven for thinking that the top 7 richest professional video game players in the world are earning $20-$30k a year for doing what so many of us wish we could have done for a living! Sure beats filing or putting data in spreadsheets!
The realty is that for many of us the pinnacle of our videogames career may come in the form of working for near minimum wage as a games tester or maybe making a few pennies off Youtube for showcasing video games tutorials.
But there is a serious way to be a gaming pro.
As a kid I loved the movie / Nintendo advert The Wizard. You know the one right? Where the boy from the wonder years took part in the biggest product placement movie of the age and made every kid long to get a Nntendo, all the games, and seriously enter competitions for potentially big ticket prizes.
Some kids seem to have lived this fantasy as a reality and even the bottom of the top 100 earners in the world is earning well over $100k a year, and that’s before sponsorship!
So what about the top 7? Well here they are, as sourced from Business Insider
1. Johnathan “Fatal1ty” Wendel – $454,544.98 From 35 Tournaments
2. Lee “Flash” Young Ho – $437,114.53 From 40 Tournaments
3. Jung “Mvp” Jong Hyun – $377,116.37 From 42 Tournaments
4. Lee “Jaedong” Jae Dong – $374,528.83 From 35 Tournaments
5. Jang “MC” Min Chul – $367,902.12 From 64 Tournaments
6. Jang “Moon” Jae Ho – $292,019.57 From 43 Tournaments
7. Danylo “Dendi” Ishutin – $275,800.28 From 23 Tournaments
Wow, wow, wow! I’m going to buy an Xbox One right this minute and get practising!
You can also see a chart of the top 100 here.